Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Planning ahead for websites and . . . pillow fights?


You may have heard of this trend recently, as a recreational activity, groups of lady friends gather in a hotel suite, get their hair and make up done, and drink champagne in their underwear while someone photographs them. One can only assume that in a situation like that, pillow fighting would ensue. Someone with an active imagination would probably also imagine a lot of other activities that might ensue, but I would probably stop at pillow fighting – I might go as far as champagne bottle spraying, depending on whether or not I sprung for the good stuff. I’ve been wanting to plan one of these parties for some time, and as I thought about how it might apply to my fledging little business plan to do so, it occurred to me that the photos resulting from such an event would make excellent marketing images for a future online boutique website that would capture the character and spirit of Angelique Ashton Designs and the kind of woman who would wear my stuff.

Working through the logistics with a friend at the bar the other night, we discussed how exactly to go about crafting the images I was picturing in my mind. For one thing, I would need to supply piles of little white feathers so we could pretend to have torn open a pillow in the fray, because it’s doubtful the hotel would look too kindly on us actually destroying one of their pillows. For that matter, I don’t think pillows are actually stuffed with feathers anymore, but for the quintessential pillow fight scene, we’d need the feathers.

She raised an excellent point however, after we got the photos, we’d then spend the rest of the evening picking feathers off the floor, the bed, the walls, ourselves . . . and once we had sprayed eachother with champagne we’d be sticky and covered in feathers, we’d look like fluffy white, extremely glamorous chickens. Actually sounds like less fun when you think about the clean up. Also, we run the risk that someone would get the sharp end of a tiny feather in their eye and have to be rushed to the hospital in a corset and fishnets, a crowd of four or five other girls in burlesque outfits with feathers stuck all over them surrounding her and rushing through the hotel lobby with paramedics.

Therefore, given the mounting risks, and the expense of this evening of business branding pillow fighting, I have decided that those particular images can wait until my business is a little further off the ground, and I can afford pillow fight injury insurance. In the meantime, the online boutique’s website, which at this moment still in planning stages anyway, will just have to be launched sans lingerie retro-glam pillow fight photos.

In the meantime, on the first things first front, Etsy store is getting launched this weekend in honor of my birthday. I’ll be starting with a few hats, burlesque mini crowns, my original one of a kind pocket bracelets, and a couple other unique handmade rhinestone items. Stay tuned for the official launch announcement!

No comments:

Post a Comment