Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Launch of a Rhinestone Empire!


So I’ve developed one pretty major problem with handcrafting these fabulous burlesque/drag/pageant jewelry and accessories for sale on Etsy . . . I don’t want to let go of any of them! My life now literally revolves around giving life to these gorgeous little things. I never used to be an impatient commuter, now I find myself practicing breathing techniques to control my road rage because I can’t wait to get home from work at my (ugh) day job to get back to work on my sparkly little babies. I can barely deal with the reality that I have to leave them in the morning and be separated from them for nine to ten hours.

Making them both excites me and relaxes me at the same time. When I try to go to sleep I end up lying awake, my mind reeling with ideas of new techniques to try and picturing how utterly spectacular each new item is going to turn out, and when I’m finished willing a new piece into existence and it did in fact come out as fabulous as I had dreamed it, I don’t ever want to sell it. It’s mine. They’re all mine, damn it.

Unfortunately, as a hobby, what I’m doing is not cost effective or sustainable. I can’t just keep buying materials to make myself beautiful play things. I am going to have to let go in order to move forward. I’m going to have to lovingly wrap up each of my new babies and place them in a box and send them on their way to their new Mommies.

So the question then becomes, what does one charge for a mini Marie Antoinette crown made from Austrian crystal with interchangeable colored fabric inserts so that it can be matched to your outfit? What would I be willing to pay if I hadn’t made this thing to own this thing I already own and don’t want to sell? Cruising through Etsy and looking at the competition really only gets me so far when it comes to pricing things, because certain items of mine, like the aforementioned crown, are totally unique one of a kind items, no one out there is selling anything like it. It’s tough to put a price on your own craftsmanship. However, price it I have. As for me keeping it, well, I suppose I can always make another. I suppose the completely solid rhinestone burlesque top hat I’m working on now will have to be sold too, and if I want one for myself – which I do – I’ll make another of those too. Or I’ll keep the first one and wait til someone orders one then whip out another for them, whatever. MINE!

Anyway, the point of this blog post was to announce: my Etsy store is up! View it at http://www.etsy.com/shop/AngeliqueAshton. You can buy my babies, go ahead, I won’t bite you. I may kick sand in your face, but you’ll get a gorgeous handmade item out of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment